Sunday, September 22, 2013

Super Storms and Knowledge

Yesterday we took Mango to the beach. Typhoon Usagi was making waves and destroying the boardwalk impressively, and the Floridian in me wanted to go see. I found myself missing home. The waves, while huge in comparison to what we're used to here in China, were about normal for a wavey day in S. Fl and I was reminded of the many nights I would sit and listen to them beat upon the shore while I just reflected on whatever the my recent circumstance was. These days my most current circumstances consist of working ALL DAY (after years of part time work even a full day with a 2 1/2 lunch is long, haha), school in the evenings, random dinner dates, study groups, outreaches, swimming, and soon I'll be adding leading worship every other week at the international fellowship to that list. 
I'm not complaining mind you. Not at all. With the exception of working all day, I've volunteered for all of these wonderfully fulfilling time-sucking endeavors. At the end of the day, I'm completely exhausted but feeling productive - and that feels good. At the same time, taking a break for random Chinese holiday's feels pretty good as well - especially when the most powerful storm of the year decides to come pay a visit to your coast at the end of it. 

Life is good. 
Work is fun. Home is refreshing. Friends are a blessing. Family is no longer weighing on me. Ministry is in action. And I KNOW that God is at work. Right now. He is at work. And I am at complete peace knowing that I don't have to have all of the answers to what comes next, because I know right now.

I know that the blood of Jesus Christ has redeemed me and that I am bought with a price. That means that I am valuable to God and tells me that He cares about the little things that weigh on my heart enough to take care of them according to His best (which I've learned is a LOT better than mine.)
I know that He is working all things for good because I love Him and have been called according to His purpose. That means the scary things (dad's big day tomorrow) and heart-wrenching moments (the pain of a loved one's choices) are still being used for good in my life. If for no other reason than to reveal more of Himself to me, that would be enough.
I know that Jesus is the head and that we are the body and that we all work together to bring this world into the knowledge of God's glory and love. That means that at every moment I am being the church, and I want to be a light that shines on Him brightly.

I've been reminded in the last week that being the church is much more important the doing church. All the things that fill up my schedule these days are great, but they don't mean a thing if I'm not tuned in to Him. I don't want to just 'do'. Super storm Usagi has reminded me that life is rough, it's unpredictable, and even when it looks like it's going to be bad, it's not always what it seems. I've seen beauty and strength and I'm reminded once again that God is holding it/us all in His hands. I'm safe. I'm secure. I'm His. 

No comments:

Post a Comment