Sunday, September 30, 2012

Testimony

I had a brief conversation with some friends yesterday and was reminded of what it is that makes a testimony. 

Dictionary.com defines testimony as a "statement or declaration of a witness under oath or affirmation; evidence in support of a fact or statement; proof; open declaration of profession, as of faith"
I think the best of those definitions is the word "evidence."A testimony gives evidence. As a believer, I often hear the term in reference or connection to a statement of faith - what do I believe and why. The 'why' is the important part.

In the context of a good storyline, there needs to be conflict for the [happy] ending to make an impact. Here's the realiztion that came to me: if our testimony is meant to bring glory to God's name, the conflicts we go through should truly be, as Peter says, something to rejoice over (1 Peter 4:13), for we know the One who will bring us out of those hard times and we'll have a great story to tell others after. 

This was yesterday.

So this morning, I was reading about Moses in Egypt. About Pharaoh giving the Israelites more work when Moses asked to take them away. And as I sat and thought again about this concept of trials giving us a greater testimony, the wonderful David Crowder began to play on my iPod.
"When the shadows fall on us, we will not fear. We will remember. When darkness falls on us, we will not fear. We will remember. When all seems lost, when we're thrown and we're tossed, just remember the cost. We're resting in the shadow of the cross." - Shadows
What a beautiful reminder of peace we can hold onto while going through those hard times, knowing in the end, we come out victorious. 

All of this gets summed up in a perfectly beautiful way (at least I think so), with a letter that I got from my mother after all of this. In this letter she makes reference to the trials that I have been forced to face thus far in my life, and I was reminded once again of all the good that God has done in me through a seeming multitude of bad situations. The testimony of God's goodness, His provision, His protection, His answered prayer, His strength, His grace, His mercy can be seen throughout the brief history of that which is my life. God is faithful. Don't ever forget it. And remember the next time you find yourself surrounded by darkness, there is still hope in the darkness. God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment