Sunday, December 14, 2014

Worship Is….Part 1

I heard a great testimony yesterday about how God is a god who sees the future and prepares for it long before we’re ever aware of the need. With that in mind…when I say that this story began about eight months ago, I have no doubt that it actually began long before that through a whole other series of events.

God is Sovereign
Over every one. Over every thing. He is in control, always.

Back in April a couple of friends and I began a study group together that focused on inner healing – something that I knew that I was in need of. But as I began on this journey with them, I knew that in my own heart there was a sense of holding back and a need for more; both at the same time (I know it’s bizzare), and I was having a very hard time reconciling it. The study was good. It was reiterating things that God has been teaching and working in me for the last two years at least. But I had a hunger for something greater than a reminder. And I as I would pray over study time and scripture, I would feel restless and frustrated.
Until one night during my daily reading time, it suddenly hit me – literally. I was reading through 2 Chronicles 29, about King Hezekiah (who happens to be one of my favorite kings to read about) and suddenly it was like God knocked me in the head and said, “Did you catch that? It was for you. Read it again.” This is what it said:

“My sons, do not now be negligent, for the Lord has chosen YOU to stand in his presence, to minister to him and to be his minsters and make offerings to him.” (v 11, emphasis mine).

This was King Hezekiah talking to the Levites and the priests in the Temple after his decision to recommit the nation to God and His law. In that moment, it was God talking to me.

Something that I’ve known for a long time is that I have been called to lead people in worship. Something that God has been teaching me for at least the last year is that ‘leading people in worship’ means so much more than knowing how to put together a good music set and get them all to sing along.
About a month or two prior to this (I told you I would backtrack further J), I was having a conversation with some older friends, who I respect very much for their spiritual maturity, over dinner, and the position and role of a worship leader was brought up. It was one of the first times that I had ever heard the concept (in a clear, concise verbal form) that a worship leader is responsible for leading people to God with a purpose. We’re not just to get them to gates of His temple and then leave them there to hang out, but we’re to guide them in and “mediate”, so to speak, a conversation, an experience, an entrance into His presence with the purpose of receiving a bit of Him in us that will leave us forever changed.
(Note: I use that word ‘mediate” very loosely. I am well aware that Jesus is our mediator and make no attempts to state otherwise.)

Think on that concept for a moment….imagine if every time you entered into the presence of God you were eternally changed by that experience?
I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to be

As I was reading that verse in 2 Chronicles, this was confirmed to me more clearly. These were the leaders, organizers and responsible parties for worship services that took place at the Temple. And here, God was telling me that this too is my call, to stand in and be an example for the people to follow.
I continued reading through the chapter. A few verses down from 11, we read about what the Levites response was to Hezekiah’s exhortation. They consecrated and prepared themselves to cleanse the house of the Lord. In just over two weeks time, they got rid of all the impure things, the blasphemous idols that had been built up over the reign of King Ahaz, and had the temple ready to be rededicated to the Lord (v. 15-19).

God said, “you need to consecrate yourself and get ready.”

No comments:

Post a Comment