Monday, December 15, 2014

Worship is….Part 2: The Daniel Fast

I was reading through the rest of 2 Chronicles 29, and as I got further down past verse 11 (confused? see previous post), the scriptures explain the cleansing process that took place by the Levites as they prepared the Temple for rededication. As I read it, I could feel God saying, “you need to consecrate yourself and get ready.”

How?

I’d been talking to God about doing a fast. I didn’t know how long. I didn’t know what I would be fasting. I don’t even think I really had a clear goal in mind – which was why I was seeking direction about how to fast.
This was it. I suddenly had an idea for the purpose and length of time. For two weeks I would fast with the intention of purifying and cleansing my life and heart in a way that would prepare me for the call that God was laying down before me. So I mapped it out. Each day of the fast would be a focus on different areas – i.e. breaking chains, past hurts, present goals, future desires, forgiveness, heart issues, etc. Through another process, I decided on a Daniel fast - eating only fruits and vegetables and nuts.

I've done fasts before. But always they have been solely focused on God alone and trying desperately to ignore myself. This fast was vastly different in approach and feelings because I was intentionally focusing on myself. But I wasn't just focusing on myself, I was exposing myself to God and allowing him complete control. After 10+ years of following Christ, I can honestly say that was an experience I had never experienced before.
Most days, when I would open my journal to see what the days focus was, God would reveal something wholly different than what I had anticipated when I wrote it all out. My journal was flooded with scriptures each day and the promises of God began to take on a whole new meaning in my life; a whole new life of their own. I found myself seeing things from a whole new perspective and strongholds and temptations that I’ve struggled with for years were suddenly broken.

I felt free.

I felt light.

I felt confident in who I was in Christ.

And I had the assurance that anything God called me to do, I could do in the power of His Holy Spirit.

The two weeks I spent doing the Daniel fast, was a complete shift in my world. It was as if my world we suddenly flipped on it’s side and everything was incredibly clearer.
I know that concept is completely wrong, but isn’t that just the way that God works?

But for all the wonderful things and feelings that I had about the changes that were being made in my life after the fast, God was just getting started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment