Thursday, August 6, 2015

Without Borders

Well we made it Germany.

When the plane began it’s decent into Frankfurt airport, I broke down into tears. The reality and the gravity of what we had embarked on was finally settling in, and I was scared. I wasn’t just scared, I was feeling highly insecure and completely overwhelmed. A lot of prayers and some verbal processing helped to relieve some of that. I’m so thankful to have such a dear friend with me on this journey. It could be miserable walking this road alone.

So, we made it to Germany.

And as beautiful as it is here and as wonderful as it seems to call this home, things have not exactly gone the way that we’d hoped they would upon arrival.
The school that I had been expecting to enroll in for the winter semester did not, in fact, accept me; for reasons that were completely unexpected and cannot currently be corrected. This means that to pursue any kind of study will cost more money and that was not in the budget upon arrival. Naturally, this leads one to question.
So I went to God and I questioned:

            “Why did I not get accepted?”
            “What I am I supposed to do now?”
And the big one…
            “Was coming here a mistake?”

But through the confusion, I maintained a sense of peace and assurance that God was still God and He was still leading.
We got to spend a few days visiting a friend in the Czech Republic where I was encouraged by Sisters, as well as confirmed by the Spirit by a burden for the Church in Europe. There was conversation and rumination about the Body as whole – what is the role, how does it look, what does it mean for people like me who often feel wholly disconnected from it?

Answers are still in the process.

What I have been getting from Daddy are daily reminders of what faith looks like and what faith does.
Starting in Matthew 8:5-13 with the story of the Centurion’s faith. Jesus himself, was amazed at the Centurion’s faith in Jesus’ ability to heal. That man had nothing to hold to think that Jesus would fulfill his request, no promise to cling to, no rule or qualification to redeem him. He had only the assurance of Jesus’ reputation and character; and the belief that Jesus could do the miracle that was being asked of him. He had faith. And that faith commended him to Jesus. That faith gained him the results that he sought – his servant’s healing.
 This same story is told in Luke 7. And it is followed by the story of Jesus raising the widow’s dead son. She didn’t ask, but Jesus’ compassion for a broken heart moved him to act. Luke 7 concludes with the story of the woman who washes Jesus’ feet with tears. After a conversation with Simon the Pharisee about a hearts response to forgiveness and redemption, Jesus’ response to the woman states simply, “your faith has saved you…” (emphasis mine). She hadn’t asked him for anything. He didn’t make any conditional promises. She believed in who Jesus said that he was and the loving character that he conveyed. And that alone saved her.
Going back to Matthew 8 in verse 18 (and Mark 4: 34-41, Luke 8:22-25) is the story of Jesus asleep on the boat during a storm. The disciples are terrified and, after waking Jesus in terror, are rebuked for their lack of faith. Imagine being one of Jesus’ disciples and watching him heal the lame and bring the dead back to life and redeem the unredeemable and then being rebuked for not believing that His presence on the boat would be enough to keep them safe.

The stories go on.
The man in the tombs delivered from the Legion of demons, who responds with submission and devotion to Jesus (Matt 8:28-34, Mark 5: 1-20, Luke 8: 27-39).
Jairus who came to Jesus and says, “My daughter has just died, but come and lay your hands on her and she will live.” His faith saved his daughter’s life (Matt 9:18-26, Mark 5: 22-43, Luke 8: 41- 56).
The woman with the issue of blood who was determined that simply touching Jesus’ robe would heal her, and it did! (Matt 9: 20-22, Mark 5: 25-34, Luke 8: 43-48) (This happened for many others who believed as well.)
The two blind men following Jesus and crying out to him for healing were healed “according to [their] faith” (Matt 9: 27-31).
Peter walked on water because he believed that Jesus would enable him to do so. Granted, his faith wavered and he began to sink, but his faith allowed him to take his first steps on the waves (Matthew 14:22-33).
The twelve apostles were sent out to perform miracles and healings (Matt 10: 5-15, Mark 6: 7-13, Luke 9: 1-6), not of their own power, but in the power of their faith in Jesus.  
There are so many more stories that I couldn’t begin to recount them all here (nor do I think you’d want to sit and read them all here), but there’s a lesson I’m being taught and reminded of again and again:
When we step out of our comfort zone, have faith not just that God can act, but that he has the compassion and desire to want to act.
It’s not too much for us to go to God with a big request, with nothing but a little mustard seed’s faith and a trust in WHO HE SAYS HE IS.

My move to Germany was the biggest act of faith I’ve ever taken. I’ve repeatedly gone to God and reminded him of the promises that He gave to me, and declared once again my trust in him. But what I love most about this amazing God that I serve, is His graciousness. I feel his smile as he watches me walk this unknown road like a child constantly checking to see if my Daddy is still there. He’ll never leave me or forsake me (Heb 13:5). That’s a promise I can bank on. He loves me. And He is not a man, that He should lie (Num 23:19).


Don’t be afraid to trust God for who he is.

I'm walking on water.

No comments:

Post a Comment