Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

For many of you who are reading this, you still have a few more hours before it's officially Thanksgiving day. However I live my life ahead of you, therefore it is already officially Thanksgiving Day here in CN. :) Aside from that, one of my favorite things about celebrating Thanksgiving is that it's not just about one day, but about taking time to express and appreciate that which we are thankful for. So here's my list of [some of the] things that I'm thankful for.

- Peace and salvation. I am so incredibly thankful for the assurance that I have in Christ that my soul rests peacefully under His protection and intercession. 

- AMAZING Family. Growing up was challenging and abnormal. There were certainly times of trials and struggles, but when I look back at it all, there's a silent solace that was given by family that was always there working towards and praying for my best. From oldest to youngest, those closest and those that I talk to rarely, I have truly been blessed with wonderful family.

- Friendship. I have yet to ever find myself in need of a friend. Not because I'm "that cool", but because God has always provided the perfect person to fulfill a specific need at just the right time. The beauty of friendship in life has not been lost on me. For without companions to walk this road with, I would surely falter.

- Guitar/Music. In my most trying and stressful times, music is my retreat. Whether I'm playing it myself or listening to someone else's creation, I love how wonderfully soothing music can penetrate to the soul and lift my strength to face the day.

- Living in CN. There are many, I know, who would very much like for me to move back to the States, and that time will come eventually. But I cannot begin to express the gratitude I have for what I have learned since moving to CN. Not just the experiences, but the people and places as well have been permanently imprinted on my heart. 我爱中国

- Being Single. In all honesty, this has been a struggle for me as of late, but I have to list it. Many have commented to me in the past about my contentment in being single. I have no desire to be in a relationship with someone if I'm not absolutely certain that God has willed and blessed that relationship. I have too much honor and respect for the union of marriage. Being single for as long as I have has made me appreciate the beauty of that union even more. So while the blessings of being single may be waning, I'm still very grateful for what this time has taught me about relationships.

- God's Law. As a Christian, I do not live my life under the iron thumb of God's law, however I am still very thankful for the truth that it reveals: my sinfulness and need for a Savior. Let me not ever forget that.

- Education. I am thankful for the opportunity to be in school. I am thankful for any opportunity to learn new things. I am thankful that I have been given a mind to reason with and the hunger to never stop learning.

- Paul's and Timothy's. I had a friend tell me once that everyone should have a Paul and a Timothy in their life. In other words, everyone should have someone who's pouring into and challenging them and someone who they are pouring into and challenging. I know that I have already said thank you for friendships, but these specific ones are especially precious to me as they have fed my heart the very Word of God in times of greatest hunger. 

- A place of employment. As an American, I'm thankful to have a job. As a human, I am thankful that can I enjoy what I do. As a touchy-feely, getting-more-emotional-with age person, I am thankful that little children are both loving and forgiving. They warm my heart. I love my job.

- Ministry. Finally, I am thankful to have a means and ability to serve others. I am thankful that I have to opportunity to share the love of God by loving on those who are still seeking peace that is deeper than temporary satisfaction. 

I could most certainly continue on listing things that I'm thankful for, but I'll stop here for now. I pray that you will have ample opportunity to express the gratitude that you have for the blessings in your life, and that you will also take advantage of those opportunities. God bless you and keep you. 

Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment