Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Scary Prayers


“So if you are suffering in a manner that pleases God, keep on doing what is right and trust your lives to the God who created you, for he will never fail you.” – 1 Peter 4:19

“Don’t be surprised at todays suffering. It may be the answer to yesterday’s prayer to see God’s glory.”  - Worship The King

I am reminded this morning that scary prayers are scary because we often don’t know how you will answer them. Beyond that, we often don’t know if/how we’ll handle your answers to those prayers.
I’ve been struggling this term because nothing has been what I expected it to be. Foolishly, I led myself to think that the works that you were going to do this year would be wholly enjoyable and that life would be grand as I poured myself out in service to you. Instead, I’ve found this year to be wholly uncomfortable and completely different from what I had expected. But I don’t doubt that you are any less at work in my life now than you were last year. Nor do I feel the need to wonder at what it is you’re trying to teach me (though I know I still do). I realize that this has been an answer to prayers prayed long ago. Prayers for more of you. Prayers to be more intimate with you. Prayers to grow and be challenged by new things that reveal more of you in my life. Prayers to be used by you. Painful prayers that I had no idea how you would answer. And now, here in the midst of the answering process, I see your glory shining through.
I am thankful for the reminder this morning of your Word; that you never fail. The struggles I face today are still little compared to the outward persecution that many of your children face around the world. My struggle is inward. And yet I still have the choice to “keep on doing what is right and trust” you, or fold and surrender. By your strength, Father, I choose to stay strong. Glorify your name in my life today God and continue to break me down until only you remain. For I know that you will never fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment