Monday, January 28, 2013

Indifferent Complacency


This morning on my way to work, I was thinking about the justice and righteousness of God.
I was thinking about the fact that His promises stand true, but they are conditional. What I mean is that God promises blessings to those who obey, but curses to those who don't. But those who start off well but finish lousy are no better off than those who don't start at all and those who start lousy but finish well are just as blessed as those who got it right from the beginning. Where's the justice in that?
The justice is in the fact that God set the standard AND has made a way for us to meet Him. The justice is in the fact that we are not justified by what we do, but what we believe. And what we believe effects our choices. His grace is necessary because of His justice and I find it necessary to remember that His grace is not to be ignored.

But where am I going with this?

Well...
As I was thinking about this, I got to thinking about how much I take Him for granted. Not intentionally of course, but in becoming complacent to the reality of His grace in my life, I see times where I become indifferent to who He really is.
I have a few friends who are wonderfully emotional. They show how they feel - happy, sad, otherwise. They're great for me because I'm waaay too sedate on my own. But I've run into a few occurrences where my lack of emotive display comes across as indifferent to those around me, and can be hurtful when they've gone out of their way to do something nice for me. So I ask myself, "why"? And I come back to my insecurity. My protective instinct is to not show too much emotion so that if I get hurt, it's not so obvious to others around me, how badly I'm hurt. THEN, I realized that I do the same thing with God. Not because I don't want to be let down by Him, but just out of habit. I simply don't acknowledge the wonderful gifts and attributes of who He is and as a result miss out on their significance in my life. As well as simply allowing opportunity to become more intimate with Him. 
This quote by John Piper comes to mind as I think on this,
"What is sin?
The glory of God not honored,
the holiness of God not reverenced,
the greatness of God not admired,
the power of God not praised,
the truth of God not sought,
the wisdom of God not esteemed,
the beauty of God not treasured,
the goodness of God not savored,
the faithfulness of God not trusted,
the commandments of God not obeyed,
the justice of God not respected,
the wrath of God not feared,
the grace of God not cherished,
the presence of God not prized,
the person of God not loved.
That is sin."
When we choose - intentionally or unintentionally - to gloss over parts of God, we miss the opportunity to discover who He is. God is GOOD. That means that there is no part of Him that we should fear to know; no attribute for us to avoid. I'm praying that God would grant me the awareness to recognize Him in ALL of His fullness. 
Don't let complacency make you indifferent to all He is. Dig deeper and let Him reveal Himself to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment