Sunday, February 10, 2013

Happy [Chinese] New Year!!


So I realized that I never actually acknowledged the new year last month. However, thanks to the wonderful Chinese lunar calendar, I get a second chance. So...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :)

I spent my new year's day either in an airport or on a plane for the most part, but I made a realization somewhere between customs and security this morning...It actually feels like a new year is starting.
The end-of-the-year holidays were a real struggle for me last year, mostly just because it didn't feel like they were really here. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's eve just didn't have the same feel to them that we westerner's work so hard for year after year. And that actually turned out to be a sort of positive because it forced me to really take a look at what it is that we celebrate at those times and why. As usual, when something important has to be done that you don't feel like doing, the end result is that much more satisfying. Likewise, I found myself much more aware of the things I'm thankful for at Thanksgiving; so much more grateful for that little baby in the manger that changed my world (and the rest of the world); and desperately praying for a change of heart in 2013. A little more than a month into that last one and I can honestly say that God is a God that undoubtedly answers prayers. 

He's taught, reminded, broken and stretched me so much in the last five months that I wasn't really sure when I was gonna get through it all or what the end result would look like. Only that I was really scared of failing Him. I don't recall ever feeling that so sincerely ever in my life. 

BUT...

In the last month He has been my Comforter, my Purpose, my Strength, my Joy. He has turned my mourning into dancing and put a peace in my heart that I couldn't have imagined two months ago. 
And so here it is, Chinese New Year and I can feel the hope of a new year coursing through me. 
Fittingly, I'm starting this new year off right - in Thailand, leading worship for a week and taking time to just soak Him up and hear what He would say to me. Better than that, I look forward to time to just sit and be still with Him in His glory - without interruption - and then wonderful times getting lost in a strange land with my roomy and whoever else we manage to pick up. 
For the next two weeks there will be no worries about work. No concerns over school. No drama. No life interruptions. After tonight, I'm disconnecting.  :)
The point that I'm making is that I am hopeful for the new year. I'm praying that the Living God that I serve and love will show me more ways that He's working around me. I'm expectant to see His hands at work in my life and in lives around me. I'm hopeful for the things that are to come. (I don't have a clue what they are but I know that He is in control and that He is good.) And so with that I wish you all a wonderful, happy and blessed new year! Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment