Saturday, March 17, 2018

Sotiris: Lesson 4

Joy

Six months ago, had you spoken to me about the joys of having plants in the house, I would have smiled, nodded my head in feigned understanding, and then rolled my eyes (maybe just inwardly) at the ridiculous obsession people have with needing to "care for" plants. I mean seriously, do we not have enough responsibilities in our daily lives that we go looking for things to be responsible for???
Mind you, I am well aware of the many paths of argument  - most of them I've been on - this thinking leads to....How are pets/children any different?....God commanded us to to subdue the earth (still not convinced that he meant for us to bring it into our homes, but I digress)....Green is good....I get it. It's not an argument I ever intended to win. But I stood on my conviction firmly. And that was ok. Because it didn't bother me that other people around me were caring for plants, just so long as I wasn't being held responsible for them. You do you, boo. :)
But that was six months ago....
Four months ago, the Lord prompted me to buy a tree. 
At first I thought I was supposed to buy it as a gift for someone else. Then I realized the Lord was telling me to buy it for me.

"Whoa..say wha-?! I know nothing about caring for a plant! What am I gonna do with a tree?"

Well, in recent posts, I've shared with you what Sotiris is doing for me. I'm still not so sure that I know what I'm doing with him. But one thing is for certain, Sotiris has indeed been a gift.
A gift that the Lord intended to use to accompany me on this journey that He's been taking me on. Those of you sympathizers of my plant-avoidance and those of you who may not agree with my rantings but have been graciously humored by them can appreciate the very sudden 180 degree turn-around, can probably imagine my surprise when I realized that each morning I'd wake up and my heart would be filled with joy when I looked over and saw Sotiris sitting stoically. I could see the growth that was taking place; take a moment to appreciate that changes in shape. I would walk over and ACTUALLY TALK TO IT!
That morning, I was stopped in my tracks. Not because I was appalled at myself. No. Now I roll my eyes at myself, shake my head and thank the Lord for getting me out of my own pride and insecurity. But I was stopped when, as I stood joyfully greeting Sotiris "good morning", the Lord whispered,
"Do you know that's how excited I get when you wake up each morning? When you take time to just sit with me? My heart fills with joy. I love to see the growth you're experiencing and the changes in you as you continue to let me bring out of you everything that I've placed in you for the world to see; everything that I created you to be. You bring me joy."
Simultaneously, I'm filled with love and conviction.
Love because I am loved. So fully and perfectly loved, more than I could ever deserve. And it is a beautiful thing.
Convicted because I know that there are times when I don't go to the Lord with the same excitement and joy that He has for me. More than that, if I'm completely honest with you, He's not alway the first one I turn to, and I completely miss witnessing His joy.
But when the Lover of your soul is wooing your heart with eyes that shine with passionate acceptance, a smile so big that you can't not smile back, and arms wide open to draw you in and hold you...when this is what awaits me (and you) each morning, why would I not???
Why would I not go to Him in eager expectation and just as much, if not more joy than what fills me when I greet Sotiris, when I know that I am accepted and loved and desired?

O Lord, restore in me the ability to respond in kind to the joy that you have for me. May I live in and walk in that joy - Your joy. May my eyes be fixed on your wide-open arms.


And then there's this:
This joy is not just for me. It's for all of God's creation. Because ALL that He has made is good. But sometimes I'm blinded by the hurt and the pain and fear, and I lose my joy and forget that God rejoices over those around me just much. The ones that I'm praying for...the ones that I work with...The ones that I do life with...they can be discouraging sometimes. Sometimes it's hard to hold on to hope. It looks easer to throw my hands up. But Jesus has left the 99 sheep to find the one (or two or three or four) and bring them home. It was joy that spurred him on to die. It is joy that leads him to pursue and intercede now. And that joy comes from a place of pure, perfect love.
So when discouragement, frustration or impossible circumstances set in, fix your eyes on Christ and see the joy in his eyes. He hasn't given up on them or us. And neither should we.
Walk in His joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment