Sunday, March 4, 2018

The Faith of a Child Does Not Age

My grandmother just turned 80 years old a few weeks ago. My grandfather did so last September. One thing that just makes my heart leap for joy when I hear them speak in awe of the faithfulness and graciousness of God. Like, its brand new to them! Every gift, every provision, every new revelation of who He is, is a brand new experience with Him. Their hearts rejoice. They smile real big. I, without trying to, I find my spirit celebrating with theirs that OUR God is so amazingly incredible!
Anyone who's heard my testimony of how I came to know Jesus, knows that it's because of the faithfulness of these two beautiful people. Their faithful and relentless prayers protected me and set me on a course headlong into the arms of the Savior. Their love and peace exhibited to me a truth and steadiness that I craved growing up in a world of chaos.
And they'll tell you,  I have always been their "baby girl" - they've been there from the beginning. Except...they weren't. They weren't always there. They couldn't be. Some of the most heart wrenching  memories of sadness that I still feel today were the times when I had to tell them goodbye after a visit. I hated leaving them. They weren't always there. But their prayers were. And the God that they trusted to protect and guide my life, the God that I had an inkling of but certainly didn't know - He was always there.
They prayed.
They prayed and they prayed and they prayed.
I was 15 when I came to know Jesus.
15!
15 years of praying.
And hoping.
And trusting.
And believing.
15 years.
15 very long years of praying for salvation and revelation and relationship.
And that's just one of the many prayers that they've prayed over me!
Years upon years of prayers for protection, wisdom, calling, purpose, provision, community....the list goes on.
You know what, I've since doubled 15, and I know - know that I know that I know - that they are still covering me in prayer. Always.

So why am I sharing this?
At 80 years old and with the faith of a child who is completely dependent on their Father, relying on his goodness and faithfulness, they still have not lost the wonder and joy that it is to walk with our Heavenly Father. And I am, by far, not the only one they've prayed for in their 80 years of life. Far from being the only answered prayer. With four kids, 11 grandkids and a few great-grandkids, their life is full. They have a church family that they are still very connected to, and ...at 80 years old, they may walk a little bit slower, but their hearts and minds are as fixed on Christ as ever.
I pray that when I reach 80, I still have that same joy and confidence in my Father and can celebrate the faithfulness of my God who faithfully answers prayers and never disappoints with those that the Lord has filled my life with.

And thank you Lord for giving me such wonderful examples of grace, love, laughter and family through these beautiful people. Bless them abundantly. Bless them mightily. And may they know absolutely, how much they are loved - not just by family, but by you.

No comments:

Post a Comment